(Im)Patiently Waiting

Today’s topic is something I’ve personally been struggling with for quite a while. If you’ve read my Valentine’s Day post from last year, you know what I’m talking about..being single. I’ll be vulnerable for a minute and tell you that I, an almost 21 year old, have never been in a relationship OR on a date. What a loser, right? I jokingly tell people I’m not ready to date and that “I’m just waiting for the ‘right one’”. In all honesty, I want to be in a relationship. I see my friends and people I go to school with happy with someone they love. I mean come on, at my sister’s wedding this year I’ll be dancing with myself! Often, there’s a pity party for one in my head. But I’ve been thinking about something for a few months now. Maybe I’m really not ready to date. Maybe my heart isn’t ready. Maybe right now isn’t the time for me and my future husband to meet. I was just talking to one of my high school girls last night about this. Everyone in our society thinks you must have a significant other at all times. But here’s the thing, what if you aren’t where you need to be in order to have a S.O.? Perhaps God isn’t done molding my heart and showing me how to love the one He created me to love. He’s still teaching me and shaping me into the future wife and mother He created me to be. Instead of rushing into a relationship maybe we should all just change our mindset. I know God has created someone for me and that I was created for someone in return. Or on the flip side, God may not be finished molding my future husband’s heart. In this time of waiting, although it may be sometimes incredibly heartbreaking, I’m choosing to cherish this time. I need to grow my relationship with God before trying to create a new one without Him. So as another Valentine’s Day rolls around, I’m praying extra hard over my tie this year. If you’re like me and desperately longing for a relationship, I encourage you to grow during this time. Lean on God and trust His timing.

Lots of love,
Nat

Comments